1. What did you do in 2013 that you’d never done before?
Gave birth and kept a tiny human alive.
2. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Last year I was very pregnant. Very. There was also that whole “just moved back from South Africa” culture shock thing happening. I remember thinking about resolutions with another distinct response: “Ain’t nobody got time for that!”
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
- My bestie Jocelyn
- All three of Trey’s best friends’ wives: Stephenie, Amy, and Kelsey
- At least 5 more friends from college.
Lots o babies!
4. Did anyone close to you die?
One of our sweet kids in South Africa passed away.
5. Did you visit anywhere exciting?
We didn’t make it out of Texas this year, and barely out of Lubbock. That is hard for us. We are travelers, adventures! Full of Wanderlust!! I want a do-over this year.
6. What would you like to have in 2014 that you lacked in 2013?
7. What date from 2013 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
February 7th, 2013. Clementine’s Birthday.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Also, I got an awesome job as Director of Children’s Ministry at FIrst United Methodist Church here in Lubbock.
9. What was your biggest mistake?
Breastfeeding was a huge battle and source of great stress for me. Clementine has food allergies and never really got the hang of it, so for months I was on a very restricted diet and obsessed over the fact that it FELT like it was poisoning my baby, and every feeding was a battle. She finally just refused to nurse and we switched to a formula that doesn’t make her insides bleed. I wish I could have had more Grace with myself and made that decision for both of us sooner. Her health improved dramatically, and so did our attachment.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I became septic after giving birth and had to go back into the hospital for a few days. I don’t recommend that.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Hands down paying for a house cleaner twice a month. Oh my mercy I can’t even tell you what a game changer this is for us.
12. Where did most of your money go in 2013?
13. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
- Starting our adoption!
- Friday Night Lights marathons with the hubs.
- Every cute and adorable thing Clementine has done.
14. What song will always remind you of 2013?
- Roar, Katy Perry
- Royals, Lorde
I have no shame that those are both ridiculous pop songs. No shame at all.
15. What do you wish you’d done more of?
16. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Be awake in the middle of the night??
17. How did you spend Christmas?
My parents and sister came to our house on Christmas Eve. We went to church, then opened gifts on Christmas Day. We travelled to Trey’s family’s on the 27th. It was wonderful!
18. Did you fall in love in 2013?
All the time, with these two.
19. What was your favorite TV program?
- Friday Night Light series
- New Girl
- Grey’s Anatomy–I’m still hanging in there, but this season has been less than awesome.
20. What was the best book you read?
Go read this right now.
21. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Whatever Trey played for me after saying “I found this great new artist!”
22. What did you want and get?
- A healthy baby girl!
- A job that allows me to use my gifts and keep my family a priority
- To get away with my love for our anniversary.
23. What did you want and not get?
A drug-free birth with no complications for either of us.
24. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
30! I got a pedicure, ate lunch with my good friend Lauren, and dinner with lots more friends. I was super pregnant and felt awful :)
25. What’s one thing that would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
- More travel
- Paying a house cleaner sooner!
26. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2013?
Oh my word….“practical comfort”? Spent the first part of the year in maternity clothes, then the rest in lots of comfy leggings and dresses.
I love fashion. I used to be fashionable. Trying to say no to the mom-wardrobe!
27. What kept you sane?
- group texts
- dr. pepper
- hot baths
- the internets
28. Who do you miss the most?
Been missing my Gram and Papa a lot these last few months. I miss our girl in Africa, and all of “our” kids there as well.
29. Who was the best new person you met?
Besides Clementine, I’m so thankful for our new friend Amanda. She brought her daughter home from South Africa this fall and has lots of exciting new adventures beginning in her life.
30. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2013?
- No matter how much I feel the need to respond to inflammatory internet posts, it really isn’t a good idea. No one wins. No one changes their mind. (Confession: I hope you’ll read this, and stop arguing on the internet too. If you do, if you change your mind, then we all will win!)
31. What are your new years resolutions for 2014?
I don’t have resolutions, but several key goals I’m going to be working toward and personal challenges I’m going to be taking on. Stay tuned for more on those! Some highlights are:
- Bringing our girl home from South Africa
- 31-day Vegan challenge before my 31st birthday
- Exploring a few hobbies and interests in a more focused way (yoga and writing off the top of my head.)
Well done 2013. You were both incredibly challenging, and wonderful. Can’t wait for what 2014 holds!
How was your 2013?